Highway Patrol Menu

Hiring Process FAQ

Return to Main Recruitment Page

Frequently Asked Questions About Our Hiring Process and Policies

What are the minimum requirements to apply for a position with UHP?

You will need:

    • High school diploma or GED
    • Age 21 and over
    • United States citizen or a lawful resident of the United States who has been in the United States legally for at least five(5) years AND has legal authorization to work in the United States

Does UHP require the NPOST?

Yes, the UHP still does require the NPOST. We require a passing score of 70% in each category. An applicant must complete the NPOST test by the completion of the Physical Assessment Test. The NPOST is offered at most College or University Testing Centers and the cost is $30. The NPOST consist of four categories (Math, Reading, Writing, and Grammar).

Do I have to have a Utah Driver License to apply?

No, you will need to possess a valid Class D Driver License and if hired you will be required to get a valid Utah Driver License.

If I am out of state can I apply?

Yes, we accept application from out of state. During the hiring process for an out of state applicant you will be required to come to Utah on two separate occasions over a period of 6 months.

How long is the hiring process and what does it include?

The hiring process takes about 4-6 months to complete, in those months you will go through:

Physical Assessment

Frontline Testing

Captains Interview

Background Investigation

Majors Interview

Polygraph Examination

Psychological Evaluation

Medical Examination

Does UHP have a max age to apply?

No, we do not have a max age limit.

Does UHP accept Lateral Transfers?

Yes, if you are an in state lateral transfer you can apply during any of the open recruitment periods. The UHP will match your years in up to 11 years. Contact the recruiter for more information on pay scale. For out of state lateral transfers you may apply during any open recruitment period, you will need to contact POST to take the LEO Waiver Test, https://post.utah.gov/waiverreactivation-process/ . You will have the entire hiring process to become certified in Utah, if by the time you are offered a position and do not pass the LEO Waiver Test you will have the option to attend the Academy.

If I am hired as a Lateral Officer do I still attend an academy?

The UHP has a 6 week Trooper Academy that you will attend, this academy is tailored to UHP Policy and Standards.

How long is the Academy/Where is it located/ Is it live in?

The Utah P.O.S.T Academy is located in Sandy, Utah. The academy is 16 weeks long, if you live within 50 miles of the academy you will commute Monday- Friday. If you live further than 50 miles you will be given a dorm room Sunday night through Friday, you will be allowed to return home Friday after class to Sunday evening. Dorm arrangements can be made for out of state new hires.

Do I get paid during the academy?

Yes, if you are not pre-certified and we are sponsoring you through the academy that means you will be getting paid to attend POST.

Where will I be assigned after I complete the academy?

The UHP will ask each applicant for preferences when they are going through the hiring process, if the applicant makes it to the job offer we will attempt to get the applicant in one of the preferences they listed. Often time the new Trooper is sent to a location on their preference list, but it is not a guarantee.

Does the Utah Highway Patrol have a tattoo policy?

Yes. The policy of the Utah Highway Patrol is that a Trooper cannot have any visible tattoos while wearing our Class “C” or short sleeve uniform. If you have a tattoo that you are willing to remove the Utah Highway Patrol allows for an applicant to go through the hiring process and if hired, they will have 18 months to get the tattoo removed from the hire date.

Does the Utah Highway Patrol allow any waivers for the tattoo policy?

No. There aren’t any waivers for the tattoo policy.

Can I wear a sleeve/makeup or other type of masking material to cover my tattoos if visible in a short sleeve uniform?

No. The Utah Highway Patrol does not allow any coverings for tattoos otherwise visible in a short sleeve uniform.

What could potentially disqualify me from the hiring process?

For a list of possible disqualifying factors click here.