Changes in Uniform
Colonel Dow implemented several changes in the uniform during his administration. The dark blue shirt was changed to a tan shirt with a black tie in 1943 or 1944. The tan campaign hat was the only hat authorized with this uniform. In 1945 or 1946, the uniform shirt was again changed. This time to light blue with dark blue epaulets. The traditional dark blue “bus driver” hat was again authorized with this uniform.
A new six-point badge was also first worn with this uniform. The Territorial Seal of Utah was adopted as the center of this badge; however, the circular shape of the Territorial Seal was not used. To preserve history, the Territorial Seal was placed in a shield, the shape of the first badge of the UHP.
The five-point badge found in the center of the original badge was engraved on either side of the words “Utah Highway Patrol.” The word “Police” was also engraved on this badge, the same as the first two badges. The officer’s badge number was engraved on a small plate, attached to the bottom point of the six-point star.
On the centennial of the arrival of the Mormons to the Salt Lake Valley, the Utah Highway Patrol adopted the beehive as their official emblem. The beehive had been worn on the uniform since the late 1930’s; however, the emblem which had been used on the doors of the patrol cars and as the hat badge was the Utah State Seal. In 1947, the beehive was placed on the doors of the patrol cars and at all office locations of the Utah Highway Patrol.
Also in 1947, the Patrol adopted a new cocoa brown uniform shirt with “army pink” epaulets. The uniform pants remained the same. The issued tie was black in color. The following year the tie was also changed to “army pink.” As had been the practice from the beginning of the Patrol, long sleeve wool shirts with ties were worn year-round.
Although the campaign “smokey” hat was implemented in 1935, the traditional style dark blue hat had also been worn, particularly during the winter months. This winter hat was also changed to cocoa brown to match the new uniform. With the implementation of the cocoa brown uniform shirt, the winter duty hat badge was changed from the Seal of the State of Utah framed with crossed night-sticks to the present day six-point star hat badge enclosing the Utah Territorial Seal and beehive. This new hat badge was also placed on the campaign “smokey” hat, replacing the circular Seal of the State of Utah. Due to the many changes in uniform from 1943 to 1947, several photographs have been located showing officers with several variations of uniforms during this period of time.
During the next two years the cross-draw holster, which had been with the Patrol since its beginning, was eliminated. The new holsters were designed for a four-inch barrel revolver. Rather than buy new weapons, the Patrol simply cut the barrels of the existing weapons to four inches.
In 1947, Utah hosted the National Governors’ Conference. The Patrol was assigned security duties for this event and received national attention in their new uniform. Since 1947, the Utah Highway Patrol uniform has remained basically the same. Troopers are often called “brown shirts” by officers of various agencies.