Ports of Entry
A 1951 Special Session of the legislature charged the Patrol with the operation of truck weigh stations throughout the state. Two stations had previously operated on U. S. 91 at Santa Clara, and a second also on U. S. 91 just north of the Salt Lake City limits. The Santa Clara station closed in 1939 and the north Salt Lake station closed shortly after World War II ended. The legislature instructed the State Road Commission to build additional ports of entry at Perry, in Box Elder County; at Echo Junction, in Summit County; at Heber City, in Wasatch County; at New Peerless, in Carbon County; at Crescent Junction, in Grand County; at Monticello, in San Juan County; at Kanab, in Kane County; and at Wendover, in Tooele County.
During the months of October and November 1951, the Santa Clara and the North Salt Lake stations were again placed in operation. During the months of April and May, 1952, the stations at Echo Junction and New Peerless were opened. On June 26, 1952, the station at Perry was placed in operation.
The 1951 Special Session only directed the Patrol to open these stations; additional funding was not provided for staffing. For two years, field personnel were required to staff these ports. During the 1953 legislative session, funding was provided to employ weighmen. A uniform was adopted, consisting of a light blue shirt and a shoulder patch in the shape of a shield with a beehive in the center and the words “Checking Station” on the top. By 1954, ports of entry were in operation at all locations mandated by the 1951 legislature, except Kanab. The Kanab POE opened in 1955. In addition, a portable unit was added in 1955, with a second portable unit added in 1956.
In 1959, Port of Entry and dispatch employees became sworn peace officers. The patch for Port of Entry personnel was changed to the UHP beehive with the word “Weighman” on the bottom. The patch for dispatch personnel was the UHP beehive with green lettering plus the word “Radio” and a green lightning bolt on the lower portion of the beehive. Ports of Entry were supervised by sergeants, while shift supervisors were designated as corporals.
In 1959, the Port of Entry operation consisted of three sergeants, 11 corporals, and 32 weighmen. Dispatchers were designated as operators and technicians were designated as radio engineers. In 1959, the radio division of the Patrol consisted of 24 operators and four radio engineers.
Within the ranks of the Patrol in 1959, officers in their first year of probation were still designated as patrolmen. Troopers had successfully completed probation. It was at this time that “military courtesy” was implemented within the ranks. All patrolmen and troopers were required to salute the rank of sergeant and above. Also in 1959, a dress blouse was again adopted. A general poll of officers wanted a return to the smoky hat; however, administration opted to stay with the standard police hat. On November 1, 1959, field strength of the Patrol stood at four lieutenants, 14 sergeants, 71 troopers and 11 patrolmen.