Highway Patrol Menu

Traffic Accidents -FAQ’s


What should I do if I witness or come upon a crash?

Stop in a safe location. Check for injuries and call 911 from your cell phone or the nearest regular phone. Keep the situation from getting worse by making sure approaching traffic is warned of the problem ahead. Render first aid if you are trained to do so. Don’t move the injured parties! Remain on the scene until police arrive. Tell the responding officers what you saw and did prior to their arrival.

When does a traffic accident report have to be completed?

Anytime there is a death, injuries, or total property damage to the apparent extent of $1,500 or more, a report is required.

I was in a crash and need a copy of the investigating trooper’s report. How can I get one?

If you need a copy of the accident investigation report soon after the incident, you have two options.

You may order your report electronically and receive it through a GRAMA request which you can complete by clicking here.

You may also contact the Utah Highway Patrol office in the county or area where the crash occurred. You can get the address, phone number, and e-mail address for by clicking on the “To Contact UHP” button on the left side of our web pages.

Please note that accident reports have been designated by law as protected records. These reports will only be provided to the following:

  • a person involved in the accident, excluding witnesses to the accident
  • a person suffering loss or injury in the accident
  • an agent, parent, or legal guardian of a person involved in an accident. An agent is a person’s attorney, insurer, or any other individual or entity with written permission from the involved party to receive the report.
  • a licensed private investigator
  • public law enforcement officers acting in their official capacity
  • local, state, and federal agencies that use crash information in their official capacity
  • a member of the press or broadcast news media (certain restrictions apply)

I was in a crash and want to get a copy of the photographs taken. Can I do that?

Copies of UHP photographs taken at a crash site can be purchased by those involved in the crash by contacting Utah Highway Patrol headquarters. Please call (801) 965-4518 for information concerning the cost of photographs and to place an order.